Founded in Wachenheim in the late 1500's by Bernhard Burklin and expanded to current size and prominence by Dr. Albert Burklin in the late 1800's, Dr. Burklin-Wolf is the largest family-owned wine estate in Germany.
Holdings total 110 hectares (275 acres) in the Mittelhardt - the quality core of the world-renowned Pfalz region, including most of the top sites in Wachenheim, Forst, Deidsheim and Ruppertsberg. Ruppertsberg's Gaisbohl and Wachenheim's Rechbachel are owned by Dr. Burklin-Wolf in their entirety.
Impressive enough for the significance of its tradition and holdings, Dr. Burklin-Wolf also stands for the future: Following more than a decade in which the entire of Germany had lost its way in international markets, 1990 witnessed an infusion of fresh energy and creativity with the passing on of estate management to Bettina Burklin and her husband, Christian von Guradze.
Delving minutely into their glorious heritage, Bettina and Christian saw that the basis for a return to the world's dinner table was at hand. in the vineyards which surrounded them. Burklin wines from Riesling's Golden Era of the late 19th and early 20th centuries preserved in the estate cellars pointed the way: Rich textured, long lived, exquisite expressions of highly definitive terroirs, fermented naturally dry in traditional oak cooperage.